visitors to this page

Monday, June 18, 2012

Relay for Life 2012 / Update on Surgery - 6/16-6/17/2012

Kurt, Nathan, Ashley and I spent this past Saturday and Sunday at Al Quaal in Ishpeming for the American Cancer Society's Marquette County Relay for Life.  I've went several years to sign up as a cancer survivor and walk for the survivor lap but we have never formed a team.  This year Kurt formed the team "Jodi's Team Believe".  While we did not raise a lot of money due to ALOT going on, it felt good to have a team.  We also were supported by several people on our team as well as the team that staff at MARESA formed.  While alot of the teams had things for sale or things to do to raise funds for the relay, we now have a better idea of what to expect and can start planning something to do to raise more funds for next year! 

I'd personally like to thank Lori Waara (and her friend, Kim) for not only donating and coming out to walk, but THANK YOU so much Lori for the beautiful scrapbooked picture frame with pictures of me, my kids and Kurt and a post Kurt put to me about being a family as well as lyrics from "I'm Gonna Love You Through This" - WE LOVE IT!!!  I will take a picture of it sometime soon and put it on here - I decided to do it now instead :)!  (And, I was correct when I said my Auntie Kris would see it and start to tear up :)  But I want her to know that it's okay to cry, Auntie!)

Thank you SO much, Lori Waara, for the beautiful scrapbooked picture frame!  WE LOVE IT!!!!


I'd also like to thank all of the people that stopped by to see us!  (I'd put everyone down but I am afraid I would forget someone and feel really bad...)  It was great to see everyone and it made the day go by SUPER fast ... I was REALLY tired by the end of the night. 

I don't know how to explain the way that the Relay makes me feel... mostly that I am joined by other people with cancer and that I am not standing out because of it.  It is an emotional day - lots of different emotions ... happiness to spend time with people I love, hope to see how many people have survived cancer, saddness to see all the luminaries for people who have passed away, etc.  I listened to Cathy O'Donnell (not the Kathy O'Donnell that I work with at MARESA) who was the speaker for the survivor lap and I related to her cancer experience as she had young children when she was diagnosed.  She spoke about how her children would go to school, she would sleep during the day and try to have as normal of a life when they got home.  I cried!

I also wanted to write about some of the newest "family members" that I have acquired during this past year.  I don't know how each of the staff members from the Hematology/Oncology and Radiation Oncology offices do their jobs each day but I am grateful for each and every one of them!  They were there to raise money and support the many people they see in their offices.  I've always said that each one of them has treated me like I am their sister, relative or part of their family and I am FOREVER grateful for them and their wonderful compassion towards their patients and families!!!  They make it a lot easier for me to keep believing!

I will keep everyone updated as we start planning for the Relay for Life 2013.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note, I just wanted to send out an update that while I was at the Relay, I physically just was not able to walk due to my recent leg/hip surgery to insert the rod in my femur.  Poor Kurt had the fun of pushing me most everywhere in a wheelchair.  Each day seems to be getting better and better with my healing.  Today I decided I would try to "walk" without crutches ... I took several steps but definitely know that I need some assistance.  It's been 12 days since my surgery and I realize it is going to take some time for walking normal but it felt good to not walk "with" crutches.

No comments:

Post a Comment