visitors to this page

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Unlucky Seven? - 9/18/2012

It's been a busy couple of days.  I found out on Friday night that my radiation treatment was scheduled for Monday (9/17) at 6 p.m.  I went to the appointment and met with the radiation oncologist; he indicated that he and the neurosurgeon went through my two MRIs... one from the day before my brain surgery (8/7) versus the one a month earlier.  I knew about one additional tumor that they were going to radiate - well, I found out that there are 5-6 areas that they need to radiate.  They planned to now do two radiation treatments.  The first one would include the area of the latest brain surgery site along with two of the tumors that have changed the most; the second radiation will include 2-3 more tumor sites (which we will do in @ two weeks).  The actual radiation is much easier with this mask - it doesn't cover my chin and mouth which is nice to be able to talk and open your mouth but still not move your head.  They originally told me it would take about 30 minutes - well, I was in the radiation room for about 2 hours.  Not sure why it was so long but glad #1 of 2 is over!

Today (9/18/2012) I met with the oncologist and she indicated that I should finish up my radiation treatments and then I can start on the BRAF-inhibitor chemo medication (Zelboraf) that I previously took for two days before they started me on the chemo med, Temodar.  So, in a couple of weeks I will start that medication.  We are hoping that this will work on the brain tumors as well as the liver/hip issues.

I also found out the results of my PET scan - liver is still the same (healing but now the same size), right hip they cannot really tell since their is so much 'trauma' to the area due to my femur/rod surgery in June; she did indicate that this scan showed some 'activity' in my left hip - she asked if I was having any pain in that area.  Boy, I sure hope I don't have issues with that hip - I'm afraid I won't be able to walk!  So, we will see what the next scan shows in regards to that area - and we'll see if the Zelboraf helps all of these issues as well.

I'm thinking I am a little 'unlucky' because of the new tumors but I also know that I have been through some major surgeries and I wasn't on any chemo.  Hopefully this chemo will decrease the tumor growth and/or get rid of the ones that are there!  (And, of course, that hopefully will happen with the radiation as well!)

Even though it's not the best news, I continue to believe!

1 comment: