visitors to this page

Friday, February 15, 2013

An Amazing Journey

I have sat and thought about how I would write this blog for some time now. As most of you know now Jodi ended her long battle with Melanoma on Sunday February 10th at 1:35 PM surrounded by her loving family and friends who have been honored to share this incredible journey with her.

We did make it to Las Vegas on Feb. 1st and got to see her favorite country artist George Strait in concert at the MGM Grand on Saturday Feb 2nd. The whole trip was not we anticipated due to Jodi not feeling the best and her taking a spill Friday night. She didn't remember the concert but she enjoyed herself. We spent most of the weekend in the hotel room and she was spoiled with numerous foot, leg, and head massages! We were blessed to meet so many generous people who greeted us with a smile, held the doors, gave Jodi words of encouragement, to people giving up their seats and taking care of her on the airplane. The world is a good place with so many wonderful people! we got to see this first hand.
We arrived in Appleton Monday February 4th and decided to drive straight home. Tuesday morning Jodi was having chest pains and the incision from her surgery in December was leaking so I called an ambulance to have her checked out. EKG was OK and a couple stitches were put into the incision to stop the leakage. she was released and we came home and she rested.
Tuesday night she was very restless and was not making a lot of sense. as soon as the kids left for school I once again called the ambulance and she was transported to MGH. She had a PET scan scheduled for that day so they gave her the meds for her anxiety she usually took for PET and MRI scans. she was very tired and that was the last time she spoke to us.
When the MRI and PET were over we met with the Neurologist and his team and found that the tumor growth in her brain had grown considerably. At that time we decided to cease all treatment and she was moved to a hospice suite.
The next four days were filled with tears and laughter as we were visited by so many friends, co-workers, family, and hospital employees who's lives have been touched by this amazing woman who I was honored and blessed to have called my Wife, best friend, and Mother of my two beautiful children.
She took her last breath so peacefully as I held her hand.

When this journey started in May of 2011 I remember thinking to myself, what am I going to do? The day she passed, I knew what to do. She has taught so many people through this that there are bigger things in life, not to worry what others think and live your life to the fullest. surround yourself with special people and to treat others as you would want to be treated. Help those in need, be polite, and always greet people with a smile on your face. Bruce and Delight should be very proud of themselves for raising an exceptional woman.
Jodi will never be forgotten, she has gotten the wheels in motion for a Non profit organization for awareness of Melanoma and to also help with people who are in need and to give to her favorite charities. We will be planning a walk in the beginning of May. We both felt that we need to "pay it forward" because we have been overwhelmed with the outpouring of kindness we experienced these past twenty months.
As I sit and type this I am happy because the house is once again filled with laughter. Ashley has a friend spending the night and they are having a blast as any 9 year old girls would! Nathan is spending the night with Grandma and Grandpa and he also has a friend staying with him. The kids are doing well, they have so many people to help them that they are continually busy. Nathan wanted to help with Moms last blog but I told him that there will never be a last blog but just a continuation of the lives that Jodi touched.

I would like to thank everyone again for all the support you have shown our family through this amazing journey.

Continue to Believe
Kurt

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Kurt. I have been keeping you and your children in my prayers. So happy to hear that you Will continue on with Jodi'efforts. Looking forward to the walk in May:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never met your family but my daughter is in your sons grade. I have been following your blog through friends & would like to thankyou for sharing this journey with everyone. You are amazing ~ we will continue to think of you & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kurt,

    I recently (this Summer/Fall) got to know Jodi much better through phone calls and cards and I have to say she is one of the most amazing women I have ever known. I cannot fathom your journey but thank you so much for continuing to share Jodi's story. I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers and will keep Jodi's beautiful zest alive by telling others about her and sharing her incredible life philosophies, especially the loving, giving, nature and focusing on what matters most.

    Take care.

    Peaceful thoughts to you all.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete