visitors to this page

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Yesterday's Crazy Morning Update - 1/7/2012

For those who may not have heard... Friday, December 6th started as a crazy morning.  Kurt woke me up at approximately 4 a.m. coming into the bedroom from the living room.  He had his blanket wrapped around him and he was shaking with a fever.  When I got the thermometer and checked his temp, it was @101 degrees.  After giving him tylenol, getting him in the shower (after many attempts as he said he was so cold he thought he would have a heart attack if he went in there) and listening to him talk, sing, and do things that were unlike himself AND his temp going up to 103.3 degrees, I called 911 along with both of our parents.  He was brought to the hospital and it was determined that he has bacterial pneumonia in his left lung.  He was sent home with lots of medications, told to get rest and relax. 

I would like to personally thank Bell EMS and Negaunee Township Fire Department EMS!   While some of the things Kurt said and did are now a little funny, it was very scary at that time and I am glad we made the call to 911.  Being an EMT himself, I don't think he really wanted me to call.  And, for everyone who called and sent emails/texts about being able to help if we ever need it, THANK YOU!  At the moment, I knew it was time to call 911 instead of waiting for someone else to come and get him.... but I do know that we have lots of family and friends who would be here in a moments notice.  THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Kurt had told the ER doc about my medical history.  He told me that I need to be VERY careful and if I have ANY symptoms to get to the ER right away.  I had an appointment with my oncologist in the morning anyway so I told him I would talk with her about everything as well. 

After getting Kurt home, my parents brought me to my oncology appointment.  My oncologist said my blood work looked really good.  I spoke to her about both my left leg spasms from a few days ago as well as Kurt and how that could affect me.  Regarding the leg spasms, it could have been low potassium but my potassium was currently alittle above normal - I have been eating LOTS of bananas though and also making sure to drink LOTS of water instead of pop.  I haven't had any problems since but will let her know if happens again.  As far as the bacterial pneumonia, she started me on an antibiotic as a precaution since I already have a cold.  She also wanted me to start on the brain tumor chemo drug, Temodar.  (She is also weening me off of the brain swelling medication over this next week.)  Due to Kurt being sick, she would like me to wait until January 23rd to start the chemo medication as she doesn't want my blood counts to drop (as they probably will some) and my immunity to go down while he is sick.  I will see her the following week and then will have another MRI the second week of February.

Since I get questions regarding this medication, here is some information that I found on the internet:

Another way to take TEMODAR is to take it one time each day for 5 days in a row only, and then you stop taking it for the next 23 days. This is one cycle of treatment (28 days). Your doctor will watch your progress on TEMODAR and decide how long you should take it. You might take TEMODAR until your tumor gets worse or for possibly up to 2 years.



Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, concerns, etc.  Kurt and I are having a low-key weekend.  The kids are each spending the weekend at a grandparents' house. 

I will try to update in the next week or two.  We believe!!!
More information on temodar can be found at http://www.http//www.merck.com/product/#T

No comments:

Post a Comment