visitors to this page

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Outcome of Detroit Visit on Mon, Aug 8th - 8/9/11

This may be a quick blog that I'll update further later as I am typing it with my iPhone ;)

Yesterday we went to Karmanos Medical Center and met with the doctor that specializes in melanoma. (My oncologist in Marquette worked under him before coming to Marquette!). The whole experience was a bit overwhelming (this is my new word during this whole experience). After discussing my medical history with the doctor, he had me get dressed ... And he went to call my oncologist. He came back in and discussed the clinical trial information with us - basically the drug is awaiting FDA approval anytime between July and October. He said that the drug has good response rates but not everyone responds the same. He felt some of my symptoms from the Ipi (rash, fevers, etc), indicate that the Ipi is working.

All in all, there was some testing on my tumor that needed to be done by some place in California prior to getting in on the trial - this was not done yet. So, based on their conversation, the doctors concluded I should continue on the Ipi treatments and hope this drug will be FDA approved so I could just get it in Marquette if needed. (He also indicated that he would push for me to get on this trial quicker - or drug is FDA approved - if I was sicker... So I guess that is good news!)

So, I will be calling my oncologist to schedule an appointment for my next treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment