visitors to this page

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Roller Coaster of Life: (Surgery, Rehab, a Trip to Vegas & THE CONCERT) ---- 1/16/2013

This is Delight - Jodi's mom.  I have the privilege of typing her words.  This is the first time I have been asked  to blog for her because she has difficulty typing and visually focusing.  I am sitting next to Jodi at the computer in the Rehab Unit and she will tell me what to type.

Where do I begin?  I had brain port surgery on Wedmesday, January 2nd.  This surgery did not turn out as we had expected.  Had some complications - weakness of the left side of my body and my speech was affected.  The doctors felt that it would be beneficial for me to spend some time in the Rehab Unit at MGH.  They say that I am progressing very well.  Even though, I doubt it because it is hard for me to get the words out -- I think I sound funny because my speech is slurred and Ashley said that I sound a little drunk. This could be happening because of my meds.

Baby Steps:  I hope to get back to normal with my speech as I am attending speech therapy here..   They are also weaning me off of some meds.  I continue to make progress with strengthening my left side (use of my left arm and leg) through both occupational and physical therapy. 

During this time a lot of people are sick that I know, including my husband, son, and my mother-in-law.  Hopefully this flu bug will pass quickly.

I have made quite a few new friends while in the Unit.  We have shared life experiences and I will treausre our friendships.  I want to thank all the neurosurgery staff, the many nurses, the rehab staff and therapists, family, friends, and the MARESA staff, for all their support and encouragement.  I continue to "BELIEVE"!!!

If you have been reading my blog, you know that I have a Bucket List.  One of my goals in life was to see George Strait in concert.  At Christmas, my parents gave Kurt and I tickets to Vegas and wanted to take us to the George Strait Farewell Tour Concert with Martina McBride.  We could buy tickets for the concert but it would have been very expensive.  We were fortunate to be able to contact a friend who works in player development at the Hard Rock, who was able to arrange for us to get 4 tickets for the concert.  THANK YOU TONY FOR MAKING THIS DREAM COME TRUE!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment