visitors to this page

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Halo and Brain Radiation Done On 6/20/2011 - 6/21/2011

On Monday, June 20th, Kurt and I went in to the hospital for 5:30 a.m.  Approximately 6:15, I had to go down to the holding area of the OR to get another IV and then they brought me in to another area to get the halo put on.  They gave me some sedative but they couldn't give me enough to put me out as I was in a wheelchair.  I don't remember much - but I did feel them screwing in the four screws for the halo.  (And, as you will see from  the picture below, I do remember them putting lots of iodine on my head... can't wait for 24 hours later so I can take a shower and wash my hair!)

From there, I went into a CAT scan with my neurosurgeon (who put the halo on) and then they took me upstairs to the 8th floor to sit around for the day while they mapped the radiation area.  I got up to the room at about 8:15 - I was waiting for Kurt and finally I called him about 20 minutes later.  He didn't expect me to call him!  :)  It wasn't the easiest to sit around as you had the halo on but it wasn't the worst either!  Kurt figured out where to put my pillows to make it more comfortable for me to sit on the bed.  The only problem for me was that I didn't have a lot that I could see because I had to wear my glasses and they would only fit over the halo so I couldn't really see the t.v. which was up above my line of vision with my glasses.  My parents came to visit with us which was nice to 'waste the time' talking and laughing!  I also had a co-worker from work stop by and an old family friend who was there for her dad's surgery.

At @3:45 they came to get me to go down to radiation oncology.  They had to 'plug' me into the table - this is so you don't move at all!  Then they did the radiation which I didn't feel a thing.... they say you won't!  Afterwards, the PA from the neurology office took out the screws on the halo and took it off.  This was the worst part!  I was in some pain at those sites for a little while but by the time I got discharged, I felt fine!  After the treatment and halo removal, we went back to the 8th floor, got my awful IV out (this one was positioned that if I moved my hand, it wouldn't work properly and I could feel it in the vein), got dressed, received discharge instructions and went home!  We got home @ 6:30 p.m.  Made for a very long day - and we were both very exhausted - I got @ a 1 hour nap; Kurt got a little bit of one but he didn't have a bed or a nice chair to lay in!


Not the greatest picture but will show you what was on me for the day!

Once we got home, I got extremely cold and laid on the couch with two blankets.  We took my temperature and sure enough, I was running a temp of 101.0 degrees.  Kurt called the hospital and talked to the PA who said she would call the neurosurgeon.  The doctor called our house and said that if it goes up any more, come to the emergency room - he figures it is just an illness I am getting.  He said to take more tylenol and rest.  So, I did and woke up at 5:30 a.m.  I took my temp which was 98.6 then; this morning it has been running 99.6 and 99.5.  We will have to call and see if I can still have radiation on my hip with a low-grade fever.  I'm guessing we might have to reschedule some of my upcoming appointments but we'll check with all of the offices.

For now, I am just laying low....

1 comment:

  1. Sending you prayers...you've been on my mind today, even miles away in Milwaukee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete