visitors to this page

Monday, June 27, 2011

1st Treatment Day - 06/27/2011

Today I started my ipi (Yervoy) immunotherapy treatment.  I will take 3 more treatments every 3 weeks.  The treatment itself lasted @90 minutes.

I do have to say that I was a little worried about the soreness of the mediport still although it definitely is getting better every day.  I actually slept on the couch last night and was able to get up by myself - the first day home, I slept on the couch and had to call Kurt out to come and help pull my other arm to get me out of the couch.  I learned to sleep on the recliner the rest of the time.  They first took blood out of the port for my lab work and then they left the needle in so they could just attach the IV to it later. 

We met with a PA from the oncology office before I started treatment.  While we (Kurt and I) both are aware that there is not a cure for stage IV metastic melanoma, they hope to prolong your life.  I didn't really want to hear about all of that right before treatment but that is the information that he went through.  (Of course, this is where I would say that the reason I don't want to hear about it is because I am looking at the optimistic side of things and hoping/praying for a miracle!)

Of course, the PA then went through the same potential side effects that my doctor had already talked about - diarrhea, problems with thyroid or pituatary gland, etc.  They gave me scripts for medications in case I have any problems with nausea, diarrhea, etc. 

We then went into the treatment room.  The staff were very nice!  I didn't feel anything...  It took alittle over 90 minutes and we left and came home after stopping at the pharmacy.
I haven't felt bad at all so far today.  I hope that this continues... and, of course, that this is the miracle drug that everyone talks about!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment