visitors to this page

Thursday, May 19, 2011

I'm A Girl & I AM A Warrior/Fighter - 5/19/11

It was suggested that I change the title to "I Am a Warrior" so I changed to Warrior/Fighter...

I guess it is now the time to tell what we found out today. As I was typing my previous post about the liver biopsy, the oncologist called. I had him talk to Kurt as I am still a bit drugged and didn't want to miss out on information.

We found out from the oncologist that the tumor in my brain was stage IV melanoma. This now means that in the next several days (not sure when yet), I will be going in to have the second tumor removed. This surgery will not be nearly as extensive as the first surgery but will require the removal of that piece (again, this is on the right frontal lobe - not sure exactly what this part of your brain function is but they were not worried about that as much).

My liver biopsy that was done today (that appeared to not have characteristics of melanoma) was indeed melanoma as well. This means that approximately 2-3 weeks after the second removal, I will start treatment for all. While we are not sure exactly where yet, the oncologist highly suggests U of M or Wayne State. Also, being that this oncologist is leaving the area in the near future, there is already another oncologist on my case here in Marquette. She has worked extensively with the doctors at U of M.

What we know right now about the treatment is that I will begin full head radiation as well as intravenous/oral chemo for the liver. We have an appointment to see the oncologist early next week to ask lots of questions, etc.

The thing about this news is that I am a fighter and plan to fight! I have lots of questions, fears, concerns but mostly, I want to LIVE! I've shed many a tear as I talked to Kurt, my mom, my dad, my brother, my mother-in-law... all of those I love so dearly! I'm sure it is all part of this process and we'll have to deal with challenges together day by day.

Kurt and I talked a lot before our kids got home from school. We decided to not discuss it with them right now (after all, how do you tell them something we don't fully comprehend?) - they are kids, they are worried and I just want them being able to not worry! We've already gotten some wonderful resources from friends and school about how to tell our kids but I want to wait until I know more of what to expect. After all, of anything that makes me tear up about this whole process, it is them!

1 comment:

  1. It was suggested that I change the title to "I Am a Warrior" so I changed to Warrior/Fighter...

    ReplyDelete