visitors to this page

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Roller Coaster RIde - 5/18/11

The original CT scan in the ER showed what they thought to be 2 or possibly 3 brain tumors. the original MRI on that night showed that there was only two (of which, the one has been removed). We were told that after removing the first one, they would determine if that tumor was in fact melanoma. If it was melanoma, they would do an additional surgery on the other tumor to remove it; if it was not melanoma, they will do radiation and chemo to remove the other tumor. We have yet to hear if it is determined to be melanoma and whether I will be going for surgery in the next several days.

We know that the tumor board met on Tuesday morning. Apparently, they meet and talk about you (without you there). :)

They also did a test in the original days to look at other parts of my body. As I said, sketchy at best memory of where I was going for what.

One of the funniest parts of the 'roller coaster ride' was that between having surgery and all of these tests, they took my glasses away from me and I couldn't put my contacts in. So, basically, I couldn't see much of anything. They asked me constantly what day it was - if only I could have seen the calendar in my room. (I must have guessed pretty good.) I do remember going down for my MRI the morning following surgery and 'seeing' people. Sometime after the MRI, I was sent down for another CT scan. I sat in this room with a gentlemen 'watching' Price is Right and drinking our glasses of Crystal Light mix for the test. The CT lady told me I had to drink my two glasses in 20 minutes. The gentlemen had two of his gone before I started drinking my first sip. I was wondering if I could share mine with him but decided not to ask. I do remember him telling me that he was having stomach problems and I was thinking yesterday, "I wonder if I told him what I had just had done." Again, still no glasses/contacts so I couldn't see really well.

I had my CT scan, went back to my room for a bit and then I think I got wheeled BACK downstairs to have a liver test. See, not only did they find that I have a stress fracture in my right hip (explains some of the pain I was having this past year), there is also some question about my liver. This test was tiring to say the least. I had to lay with my arms in the air for what felt like forever. Luckily I was tired so I just tried to fall back to sleep.

Yesterday, we got a call that I need to go in for a biopsy of my liver. Not sure why or what is going on but I will be going in for the biopsy at 8 a.m. tomorrow morning (Thursday, May 19th). I'm not sure exactly what this involves but with all that has happened in the past week, I am not worrying about it.

The only other test that I know that I will need to have in the near future is a PET scan. This scan detects cancer at all levels. We haven't heard yet when this will happen!

Today has been a more trying day to say the least. My arms are tired, take meds is not high on my list of fun and I'm just anxious to one day feel sort of human. But, I know this too shall pass and we'll have some answers and know more of what to expect.

Maybe later tonight Kurt and I can sit and write some of my 'apologies'! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow:-) You've gone through so much this past couple of weeks with such flying colors, you'll ace this one too:-)
    Prayers and Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete