visitors to this page

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Luckiest Person - 05/17/11

I haven't typed in a few days and wanted to let everyone know that it was only because I got extremely tired last night when I sat down to start typing!  :)

Tonight I have to write as it's been an incredibly amazing day! 

Kurt and I finally broke down and washed my hair this morning.  We were both extremely nervous (although, neither would tell the other...).  We did it though!  The picture below shows my half-head of hair the day I left the hospital.  This was taken right before we were leaving after the kind nurse that was on that day helped me wash my hair and shower.  (On my left - the side with the white patch - is the incision... which we counted and has @32 staples; the right side is still a head full of hair!)


After getting ready, I went with my parents to MARESA (my employer) to see everyone.  I think I surprised most of the people there.  I got to see alot of co-workers, I felt like I talked for the entire 60-90 minutes I was there, and quite honestly, I am not sure what I said!  :)  It is an 'effect' of this surgery... I am on medication for anti-seizures and I feel kindof like I am a little drunk.  (I promise my next blog will be about some of this stuff...) 

My parents then brought me to Target.  Kind of funny to see people look at me because of course I look like I've been beat up - my arms have tons of bruises from the different IVs, etc. 

The other day I spoke with my dear friend, Casey Arkens, to see if she would be comfortable and willing to shave my hair off.  It's not the most comfortable to have a half-head of hair so we talked about the possibility of donating it to Locks of Love.  She called this morning to let me know she would do it today!  Kurt and I made our way to Gwinn ...

I don't even know where to begin this part of the story.... Anyone who knows Casey knows that she is the kindest, most sincere person that you could ever have on your side!  If she was able to, Casey would give you the world and then some!!!

When Kurt and I pulled up, she came running out of her house.  She had a hat on her head but then she started jumping around, took her hat off and showed me her newly shaved head!  SHE ACTUALLY SHAVED HER HEAD FOR ME!  (I wish I had a video to capture this moment)... I believe I said, "Casey, what the heck did you do?"  Of course, I shed a tear or two or three...  and wanted to make sure her husband knew that she did this.  (Although, I have no doubt she would have done it regardless of how Mike felt...)


Casey and I after the shaving/hair cutting!
  (FYI... The part above my nose is actually one of the three spots that they had a halo in my head during surgery - the other two are on the back.)

Casey cut my hair for Locks of Love, she shaved Kurt's hair and then my brother, John, even got his head shaved too.  (Sorry John, I didn't get a picture of your haircut but I will add it from Casey's photos...)  Casey took lots more pictures but I couldn't wait to put them on here... 


Casey shaving Kurt's head...
Now is where I will start the tears...  how am I so lucky to have such wonderful friends?  I've always known how dear my friends are to me although I know I was not always good about telling people how much I love them.  I'm completely humbled by how generous everyone has been.  It's very overwhelming for me!

How do I thank my dear friend for making a moment I was looking forward to even more special by shaving her own head for me?  Casey, THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I don't know how I will ever repay you but believe me when I say that I hope someday I can be half of the friend that you have been to me!!!!  I love you with all of my heart!!! 

How do you EVER tell  everyone thanks and truly mean it?

(Tomorrow I will try to type earlier in the day... I think I've got to start my apologies to those who came to visit or called when I was in the hospital - Kurt might have to help me with this one as I hear I was telling people whatever I wanted to say...  More tomorrow!)


I wanted to update some of the pictures that Casey sent me from that special day - here they are:
Kurt and I after our haircuts!

Another shot of Casey and I - she even had matching hair bows but since I couldn't wear mine over my head, we put them on our necks!  :)

Casey, myself, Kurt, Andrew (my nephew) and John (my brother) - new haircuts!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Sorry if this posts twice... I also wanted to thank my amazing mother-in-law, Kay, for making a wonderful meal for all of us tonight! Much love to you, Ray and the rest of the family!

    ReplyDelete